June 9, 2014

Top Ten Tuesday (68)


This week's topic is



THIS IS SUCH A GOOD TOPIC.  The books I’ve been reading this year have been amazing.  How do I only pick 10?  Looking through my books, especially my five star books on goodreads, I’m struck by how DIFFERENT they all are.  These people talking shit about YA and saying that they’re simple stories with happy endings need to check themselves because that’s not what I’m finding.  At all.


Afterparty – Ann Redisch Stampler

A crazy, twisty friendship story that begins and ends with a plunge off of a rooftop.


Where the Stars Still Shine – Trish Doller

A girl who was kidnapped by her mother at a very young age comes to live with the family she never knew.


Vengeance – Megan Miranda

An accident causes Delaney to be able to sense when deaths occur before they happen, or could it be that death is now following her?  (Bonus: best friends in love)


Some Girls Are – Courtney Summers

You want a mean girl book?  You’ve freaking got one.  What happens when the meanest of mean girls turn on one of their own?  It’s not pretty, but it’s one hell of a book. 


The Scar Boys – Len Vhlaos

Punk rock.  A road trip.  Scars.  An awesome journey told through Harbinger “Harry” Jones’s college application essay.

We Were Liars – E. Lockhart

You’ve seen the description, right?  If anybody asks you how it ends, just LIE.  The twist is so worth it.


The Impossible Knife of Memory – Laurie Halse Anderson

Anderson always gives an amazing look into the lives of people doing their very best just to survive in the crappy situation they’re in.


Nearly Gone – Elle Cosimano

A YA book about a serial killer. That’s basically all you have to tell me.  Well, it’s not about the serial killer, but it is about the girl the killer’s framing for their crimes.  Awesome.


Since You’ve Been Gone – Morgan Matson

What happens when your best friend disappears for the summer, leaving only a list of crazy things she wants you to do in her dust?  If you’re Emily you attempt to do the things on the list, finding an awesome group of people along the way.


Rebel Belle – Rachel Hawkins

You know what I love more than ass kicking girls?   Ass kicking girls in debutante gowns.  Add in really cool Paladin mythology and I’m totally head over heels for Rebel Belle.




There you go – the best books I’ve read so far this year.  And the year’s only half over.  There’s still so much to look forward to: SILVER SHADOWS.  ISLA.  Come at me y’all.  What can you guys recommend that I’ll love as much as these?

7 comments:

  1. I am dying to read Where the stars still shine, Nearly gone, We were liars, and Rebel Belle. Awesome list!
    http://wp.me/p3ftwe-sU

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read THE IMPOSSIBLE KNIFE OF MEMORY from your list, but pretty much all of the others are on my TBR list already. I really, really want to get to WHERE THE STARS STILL SHINE this year. We'll see how it goes ...

    Happy TTT!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thrilled to find Afterparty on this fabulous list!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm thrilled to find Afterparty on this fabulous list!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm thrilled to find Afterparty on this fabulous list!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm thrilled to find Afterparty on this fabulous list!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm thrilled to find Afterparty on this fabulous list!

    ReplyDelete