January 17, 2012

My first Top Ten Tuesday!


This week's topic (hosted by The Broke and the Bookish) is Top Ten Books I'd Recommend To Someone Who Doesn't Read ______.  I'm going to take a step away from YA for a minute and go with kids books.  Let's start with picture books.




The Sea of Bath by Bob Logan
The super cute adventures of a confused sea captain in uncharted waters.  Sea monsters, divers, and a boat named SOAP all keep this captain company through his voyage.


The Curious Garden by Peter Brown
This is the story of a boy who finds a small flower in a train track and tends to it.  It begins to grow and grow until he needs the entire city's help tending to his garden.

 Princess Hyacinth, the Surprising Tale of a Girl Who Floated by Florence Parry Heide
Just like the title says, Princess Hyacinth floats.  Her parents sew rocks into her clothes and make her wear a heavy crown to stay grounded.  One day, she takes a balloon from a balloon man and decides to go for a fly.  The only problem is the man doesn't hold onto the string!  Luckily there's a boy named Boy ready to bring her back down to Earth.


Morris Goes to School by B. Wiseman
One of those books that brings me right back to being a kid.  It's something about the illustrations, I think, that sticks out so clearly in my mind.  Morris goes to buy some candy, but doesn't know how to count his change.  The candy man suggests he go to school to learn how.  Hilarity ensues.



Itsy Mitsy Runs Away by Elanna Allen
This is my absolute favorite picture book of late.  Itsy Mitsy doesn't want to go to bed so she decides to run away.  She tells her dad she's taking the show on the road and he helpfully reminds her of all the things she needs to pack.  The illustrations are the cutest and Mitsy is fiercely adorable. 


Charlotte's Web by E.B. White
I remember this being one of the first books that I read on my own and I was very excited about it.   It is a lovely story about an unlikely friendship.

 
Little Women by Louisa May Alcott
This was the first REALLY BIG BOOK that I read when I was younger.  I loved it then and I still love it now.  In fact, we're reading it for our book club next month.  The cover on the left is the one I had when I was little (and is probably still in my basement somewhere) and the right one is the one my sister got me for Christmas last year (!!!). 



Harry Potter - J.K. Rowling
What list of kids books would be complete without the epic tale of the Boy Who Lived?  I've read these books so many times I've lost count.  If you haven't read them, read them now.



Tuck Everlasting by Natalie Babbitt
This is one of those books that I never read as a kid.  It was a choice between this, The Westing Game (see below), and Bridge to Terebithia.  I wound up seeing the movie when I was in my late teens and loved it (Rory Gilmore,  Lucky Spencer, and immortality, what's not to love?).  I finally checked out the book last year because I wanted to see how different it was from the movie (there are few, but major differences) and it did not disappoint at all.  It's a thinking book, just like the cover says, "What if you could live forever?"



The Westing Game by Ellen Raskin
Finally, we've come to my favorite kids book ever.  The Westing Game is the story of sixteen people brought together to hear the will of Samuel W. Westing, an eccentric millionaire.  The will turns out to be a puzzle and whoever solves it will inherit Mr. Westing's $2 million fortune and his company.  This cover is the one I had when I was younger.






Well, I hope you enjoyed my first Top Ten Tuesday, I sure did.  These are some of my favorites and hopefully they're some of yours too.  If not, what are you waiting for?

No comments:

Post a Comment