November 8, 2012

Catching Jordan - Miranda Kenneally

Title: Catching Jordan
Author: Miranda Kenneally
Pages: 281
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire

From goodreads.com: What girl doesn't want to be surrounded by gorgeous jocks day in and day out? Jordan Woods isn't just surrounded by hot guys, though-she leads them as the captain and quarterback of her high school football team. They all see her as one of the guys and that's just fine. As long as she gets her athletic scholarship to a powerhouse university.

But everything she's ever worked for is threatened when Ty Greeen moves to her school. Not only is he an amazing QB, but he's also amazingly hot. And for the first time, Jordan's feeling vulnerable. Can she keep her head in the game while her heart's on the line?


I had heard good things about Catching Jordan before I read it.  I checked out the summary and it sounded kind of different than the other sporty girl books that I've read in the past.  I have loved Little Giants since I first saw it (in 1996) and it has a similar story but with older teens.  A new boy comes to town and joins Jordan's team, she starts to like him, and her feelings start to mess her game up.  Instead of pee wee football it's high school so there was even more romance potential.  I also played sports from when I was very young all the way through my senior year of high school so I was pretty confident that I was going to like this one.

Lord, was I wrong.  I found the characters - all of them - to be unlikable.  Jordan is supposed to be a strong, tough girl.  She is someone who her team looks to as a pillar of strength and every other chapter she's crying.  Now, I'm not saying strong girls can't cry, but every other chapter?  Too much.  I couldn't root for Ty.  That boy had some serious emotional issues and definitely needed therapy.  His and Jordan's relationship moved way too fast for it to be believable.

Jordan's issues with her father didn't sit right with me either.  He is a football player who doesn't want his daughter to play football.  Even when they were hashing it out at the end of the story - he doesn't want his child hurt playing at a higher level, which would have been a fine explanation of his feelings BUT HER BROTHER PLAYS AT A HIGHER LEVEL.  I think I would've been more okay with it if it had just been that he doesn't think girls should play football.  It would have made more sense within the story.  And Jordan just accepts his reasoning.  Ugh.


I'm sad about this one.  I was so looking forward to reading it after all the good things that I heard, but I was very disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment