November 15, 2012

Embrace by Jessica Shirvington

Title: Embrace
Author: Jessica Shirvington
Pages: 369
Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire

From the flap:
It starts with a whisper.
"It's time for you to know who you are..."
Strange dreams leave her with very real injuries and there's a dark tattoo weaving its way up her arms.  They guy she thought she could fall in love with just told her he's only half-human - oh, and the same goes for her.  And she keeps hearing a distant fluttering of wings.
Violet Eden is having a very bad 17th birthday.
But if angels seek vengeance and humans are the warriors, you could do a lot worse than betting on Violet Eden...

Embrace was my first angel novel guys!  I'm kinda proud of myself because every time I've seen a book about angels I've automatically been like, "Next!" but something about this one spoke to me.  First off, the cover is gorge.  I would love to have this girls hair.  Other things I love about the cover?  The suggestion of wings done with smoke and the pretty pretty purple background.  I was actually really upset when I saw that the cover of  Entice was totally different.

I have to say, I really enjoyed Embrace.  It is not without its issues, but it was a fun book.  I kind of felt how I did when I first started watching The Vampire Diaries.  Nowadays, TVD is v. serious business (with a side of SQUEE!) but when I first started watching it, it was like, "Well, why wouldn't I take a chance on this show with these two very hot, often half naked boys in it."  Yup, I just compared this book to watching CW actors naked chests.  I hope you're all running to read it right now.

Now, for my main problem.  I really felt that there was no need for Violet to be 17.  The characters all felt much older to me.  They never go to school, Violet's mom is dead and her dad is never around, and they spent a lot of time in clubs.  Violet and Steph could have at least been in college, then we wouldn't have had to spend so much time making up excuses for these things. 

Even with my issues with it, Embrace left me wanting more so I'll definitely be checking out the sequels!

No comments:

Post a Comment