March 22, 2012

Tempest by Julie Cross

Title: Tempest
Author: Julie Cross
Pages: 352
Publisher: St. Martin's Press

From bn.com:
The year is 2009.  Nineteen-year-old Jackson Meyer is a normal guy… he’s in college, has a girlfriend… and he can travel back through time. But it’s not like the movies – nothing changes in the present after his jumps, there’s no space-time continuum issues or broken flux capacitors – it’s just harmless fun.
That is… until the day strangers burst in on Jackson and his girlfriend, Holly, and during a struggle with Jackson, Holly is fatally shot. In his panic, Jackson jumps back two years to 2007, but this is not like his previous time jumps. Now he’s stuck in 2007 and can’t get back to the future.
Desperate to somehow return to 2009 to save Holly but unable to return to his rightful year, Jackson settles into 2007 and learns what he can about his abilities.
But it’s not long before the people who shot Holly in 2009 come looking for Jackson in the past, and these “Enemies of Time” will stop at nothing to recruit this powerful young time-traveler.  Recruit… or kill him.
Piecing together the clues about his father, the Enemies of Time, and himself, Jackson must decide how far he’s willing to go to save Holly… and possibly the entire world.

I wasn't sure I was going to read Tempest at first, but all the buzz about it got to me.  Well, that and my sister brought it home from the library, so we crossed paths at the right time.  I'm so glad she brought it home because I got so sucked into this book I couldn't put it down.  I wound up staying up half the night to finish it.

I love that Julie Cross flat out says in the book to forget everything you think you know about time travel.  I find time travel to be one of those very perplexing situations, every story has its own mythology and you never know where they overlap and where they don't.  Sometimes you can't cross into your own time line, sometimes you can't change anything, sometimes the smallest thing changes everything.  By having Jackson figuring out his powers within the course of the book and telling us to rethink everything she really wiped my time travel slate clean. 

The action scenes were amazingly well done.  I knew exactly which scene the cover was depicting when I got to it.  I love little details like that.  I also really liked Jackson, Holly, and Adam.  It was nice to read a YA book with characters in college (at least at the beginning).  It's not something that you see very often and being not quite a teen anymore it was nice to have a main character who was a little bit older.

My other favorite part of this book was that I knew going into it it was going to be a series, but the end of Tempest didn't make me want to kill someone to get my hands on the next book.  I'm definitely going to read any and all sequels to it, because I really liked it, but I'm not going into Pandemonium level meltdowns until I can get them.

BONUS:  There's a free e-book prequel short story to Tempest - Tomorrow is Today.  NOOKKINDLE

EXTRA BONUS:  Macmillan Audio was nice enough to give me a clip of the audiobook of Tempest to put up with this review.  Make sure you check it out!


No comments:

Post a Comment