June 22, 2012

The Curseworkers Series by Holly Black


I was lucky enough to meet Holly Black at Book Expo a few weeks ago and I got the chance to tell her how much I loved her Curseworkers series.  I'm amazed that I was even able to get anything coherent out because I just love these book so effing much and I never thought I'd get the chance to meet Holly Black and tell her that.  In lieu of a real review of this series (it would've just devolved into 'I love this series asdfjkl;zxvnm!!!!' anyway) I've decided to do a little list to try and gather my thoughts on what I love so much.  So here we go...

Five Things I Love About Holly Black's Curseworkers Series
(In no particular order.)

1. Cassel Sharpe - This boy has one completely effed up life and yet he's one of the best narrators I've ever encountered.  Ever.

2. The fact that Cassel opens up his world to Sam and Daneca.  Boy was a loner with a capital L when these books started, but these two wormed their way into Cassel's heart and now he'd do anything for them.  They've become family.

3. Blowback - I love that there are consequences - physical consequences - for using magic.  

4. The amulets - They're the only thing that can absorb the magic totally, without causing any blowback.  They can look like a fancy necklace, a piece of gravel, or anything in between.  They protect you from being worked, but only once and it's hard to tell the real from the fake, unless you know where to get them.

5. The Lila situation - I don't want to spoil anything, because these books are so freaking awesome you should experience them for yourself, so just know that this story is flawless.  Holy messed up shit Batman!

Please please please, if you haven't already, look for these books and read them.  I've recommended them to anyone who asks for a new teen book to read.  You won't be sorry!

3 comments:

  1. Boy, I really have to read this series! Thanks for the list!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I completely agree with you--this is an excellent series! And while I think the new covers are pretty in a generic Jazz Age way, I think it's unfortunate that they will effectively eliminate male readership.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the new covers :-) Great you got to meet Holly B! I'm picking the series up next month, can't wait to get started

    ReplyDelete